Bayer Leverkusen vs VfB Stuttgart: probable teams, match stats and LIVE blog!
Xabi Alonso is set to continue Bayer Leverkusen’s revival on Saturday as they aim for a third successive Bundesliga victory when they take on VfB Stuttgart at the BayArena (kick-off: 15:30 CET).
After struggling for consistency all season, the upcoming end of the domestic fixtures slate in 2022 looks to have picked up steam Leverkusenfocus. Consecutive wins on Union Berlin and Cologne derby rivals not only kicked them out of the relegation zone, but also injected a much-needed dose of self-confidence. Another victory here, coupled with favorable results elsewhere this weekend, could leave Alonsoon the side of the middle table during the winter break. The Spanish tactician will have to manage without a midfielder Robert Andrichhowever, therefore Kerem Demirbay should fit right in. With star striker Patrick Schick uncertain about injury, his Czech compatriot Adam Hlozek should resume the attack. The impressive connection at the bottom right between Moussa Diaby (five goals three assists) and Jeremiah Frimpong (five and two) should mean the duo is starting over.
stuttgart get into this game just one point worse than their hosts in 15th placethemselves having benefited from an improvement in their results after appointing Michael Wimmer as interim coach following the dismissal of Pellegrino Matarazzo. one last breath Konstantinos Mavropanos winner to grab a 2-1 victory against Hertha Berlin Tuesday came at a cost, however, with the Greek defender now suspended and captain Wataru Endo ruled out with a concussion. On Friday, Wimmer confirmed that Borna Sosa and Silas will also not play any role in the game. VfB are yet to win away all season (D3 L3) – all year in fact – but at least there is cause for optimism in the striker’s form Serhou Guirassy. He has scored two goals in his last three outings.
look: Highlights of Leverkusen’s derby win over Cologne
- Leverkusen have won seven of a possible nine points in home games under Xabi Alonso so far, scoring 11 goals in the process.
- Frimpong’s five goals and two assists in the Bundesliga this season make him the most successful defender in the league.
- Die Werkself have won consecutive Bundesliga games for the first time this season. All seven goals scored in those two games came in the second half.
- VfB have won four of their six games under caretaker manager Michael Wimmer so far – but all have come home. They lost the two away matches under his responsibility.
- Borna Sosa has completed more crosses in open play (51) than any other player this season.
- If Stuttgart did not win, it would be the first time in the club’s history that they had gone an entire calendar year without securing a road victory. They are currently on a 16-game winless run away from home.
Leverkusen: Hradecky (c) – Kossounou, Tah, Hincapie – Frimpong, Palacios, Demirbay, Sinkgraven – Diaby, Hlozek, Amiri
Out: Andrich (suspended), Aranguiz (calf), Azmoun (muscular), Schick (adductor), Wirtz (fitness)
Doubtful: Paulinho (flu)
Coach: Xabi Alonso
Stuttgart: Müller – Anton (c), Zagadou, Ito – Vagnoman, Karazor, Ahamada, Millot – Tomas, Guirassy, Pfeiffer
Out: Endo (concussion), Mavropanos (suspended), Nartey (illness), Silas (muscle tear), Sosa (muscle), Stenzel (illness)
Doubtful: Führich (muscular)
Coach: Michael Wimmer