Greuther Fürth vs. Cologne: Probable Lineups, Match Stats & LIVE Blog
Anthony Modeste once again leads the charge of UEFA Champions League hopefuls in Cologne as they travel to a Greuther Furth side fighting for their lives in the Bundesliga on Saturday (kick-off 15:30 CET).
>> Click here for the Fürth-Cologne LIVE blog!
Fürth start the weekend nine points clear of Augsburg in the promotion/relegation playoff spot, but they have given themselves a chance to miraculously survive with a revival of form in the new year. The Bavarians took eight points from a possible 18 in 2022 and even took the lead against league leaders Bayern Munich, but ultimately succumbed to a 4-1 defeat last time out. Captain Branimir Hrgota had put Fürth ahead against the champions and could form a top three with Jamie Leweling and Havard Nielsen, although Jeremy Dudziak has recovered from a hip injury picked up at the Allianz Arena.
Cologne have been superb since mid-December and have won five of their last eight league games. This not only kept them in the European race, but kept the Billy Goats in contention for a top-four finish that would bring UEFA Champions League football to the RheinEnergieSTADION for the first time. Modeste has been pivotal in their sustained push to the top of the table, with the French striker having netted 15 times so far this season. The Frenchman came off the bench to strike the winner as Cologne beat Eintracht Frankfurt 1-0 last weekend and is expected to replace Sebastian Andersson in the starting XI. Timo Horn came back in goal and kept a clean sheet against Die Adlerleaving Steffen Baumgart the decision to replace him and get Marvin Schwäbe back into shape.
Look: Ellyes Skhiri was twice as Cologne won the loss 3-1
- Hrgota has been responsible for eight of Fürth’s 21 goals this season (38%).
- Fürth are unbeaten in their last five home games, including back-to-back wins for the first time in their Bundesliga history.
- The Bavarians have beaten Cologne just once at home in eight previous encounters.
- Jonas Hector is set to make his 300th appearance in a Cologne shirt.
- Modeste has accounted for 43% of Cologne’s goals this season (15 out of 35). Only Robert Lewandowski (28), Patrik Schick (20) and Elring Haaland (16) have scored more in the entire division.
- Cologne’s 35 points this season is already two more than they have earned in the whole of the 2020/21 campaign, and their best result after 23 games in a Bundesliga season.
The probable compositions
Furth: Linde – Meyerhöfer, Griesbeck, Viergever, Itter – Seguin, Christiansen, Tillman – Dudziak – Leweling, Hrgota (c)
Outside: Funk (knee), Kehr (knee), Ngankam (knee)
Doubtful: Jung (knee)
Coach: Stefan Leitl
Cologne: Schwäbe – Schmitz, Kilian, Hübers, Hector (c) – Skhiri, Özcan – Ljubicic, Uth, Kainz – Modeste
Outside: J. Horn (ill)
Coach: Steffen Baumgart