Hoffenheim vs Bayern Munich: probable line-ups, match stats and LIVE blog!
Robert Lewandowski and Bayern Munich have a chance to open a 12-point lead at the top when they visit fourth-placed Hoffenheim and talisman Andrej Kramaric on Saturday (kick-off: 3:30 p.m. CET).
>> Click here for the Hoffenheim-Bayern LIVE blog!
Kramaric’s numbers may be down from previous years with just four goals, but that hasn’t stopped Hoffenheim enjoying the third-best Bundesliga campaign in their history. Stefan Posch scored the game’s only goal last weekend as the Sinsheimers won 1-0 in Cologne to earn four spin wins and stay fourth, two points ahead of RB Leipzig. The clean sheet was even more impressive considering the number of defensive absentees. Captain Benjamin Hübner is likely to miss out again, but Chris Richards has a chance to face his parent club after returning to training last week following a severe foot bruise sustained on international duty with the United States. United in January. Coach Sebastian Hoeneß has also hinted that Justin Che – a former Bayern loanee who was signed this winter by FC Dallas – could also be in contention for his debut very soon.
Hoffenheim may be the in-form team on paper, but Bayern bounced back from a 1-1 draw with Bayer Leverkusen by thrashing Red Bull Salzburg 7-1 in the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday. Lewandowski was the star of the show with a hat-trick in 23 minutes as the Bundesliga leaders booked their place in the quarter-finals. Their advantage over Borussia Dortmund is currently nine points after BVB’s last-day game was postponed, and they will only play on Sunday this weekend. Julian Nagelsmann takes Bayern to his former club with Manuel Neuer back in goal, as well as a plethora of attacking options in Thomas Müller, Leroy Sane, Serge Gnabry and Kingsley Coman behind Lewandowski. Corentin Tolisso and Leon Goretzka trained this week but may not be ready to return yet. Alphonso Davies remains sidelined with a heart condition.
Look: Upcoming comeback: Manuel Neuer
- Hoffenheim already has as many home wins after 25 matches (eight) as in all of last season. They are trying to clinch a club record for the fifth straight top-flight victory.
- Hoeneß won the 2019/20 3. Liga as Bayern reserves coach, while Nagelsmann oversaw a club-record 116 Bundesliga appearances as Hoffenheim boss.
- Richards, who played under Hoeneß for Bayern II, has made 31 competitive appearances for Hoffenheim compared to 10 for his parent club.
- Lewandowski has scored 14 goals in 23 competitive appearances against Hoffenheim, doing so once in six of his last seven.
- At 19, Jamal Musiala is set to become the youngest player in Bayern history to reach 50 Bundesliga appearances.
- The match will be Bayern’s 1,934th in the Bundesliga, equaling the all-time appearance record held by Werder Bremen.
The probable compositions
Hoffenheim: Baumann (c) – Posch, Grillitsch, Vogt – Kaderabek, Samassekou, Stiller, Raum – Baumgartner – Bebou, Kramaric
Outside: Bicakcic (knee), Nordtveit (thigh), Rudy (hamstring), Skov (thigh)
Doubtful: Hubner (not included)
Coach: Sebastien Hoeneß
Bavaria: Neuer (c) – Pavard, Süle, Hernandez – Kimmich, Musiala – Gnabry, Müller, Sane, Coman – Lewandowski
Outside: Davies (heart), Goretzka (knee)
Doubtful: Tolisso (hamstrings)
Coach: Julien Nagelsmann