Mainz vs Cologne: probable line-ups, match stats and LIVE blog!
Two of the Bundesliga’s in-form forwards, Jonathan Burkardt and Anthony Modeste, are on display at the Carnival clubs meeting in Mainz and Cologne on Sunday (kick off: 5.30 p.m. CET).
>> Click here for the Mainz-Cologne LIVE blog!
Germany U21 captain Burkardt has become the main man in Mainz alongside Karim Onisiwo, scoring five goals and creating two more in his last five club appearances. We saw the 05ers come out of a first real slump under Bo Svensson and go three games unbeaten to occupy seventh place before the weekend. ‘Jonisiwo’ form keeps club legend Adam Szalai and summer signing Marcus Ingvartsen on the bench, while the three full-backs quickly made up for the loss of Bundesliga fastest player Jerry St. Juste. The Dutchman is likely out until the New Year with a shoulder injury. Otherwise, Svensson has a physically fit first-team team at its disposal.
While Burkardt’s form has been impressive, Modeste’s has been stratospheric lately. The Frenchman is enjoying a renaissance in Cologne, scoring 10 times in 13 competitive appearances this season, including doubles in three of the last four. Two of the Bundesliga won the Billy Goats draw 2-2 at home against Bayer Leverkusen and then Union Berlin. But it’s still just a win in the last eight league games for Steffen Baumgart’s men, who have slipped into the bottom half of the standings for the first time this season. Ellyes Skhiri missed the last four with a shin injury suffered in the previous international break, but is back on the training ground and could be back before the winter break.
To concern: Rising star: Jonathan Burkardt
- Burkardt has produced four goals and one assist in his last four league games. Onisiwo scored one goal and assisted two during this time.
- Svensson has scored 50 points in 31 appearances as Mainz head coach. Only Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Wolfsburg and RB Leipzig have collected more during this period.
- Indeed, Mainz has accumulated seven points out of the last nine offered. Four games unbeaten would be a first for the 05ers this season.
- Modeste has scored all of Cologne’s last four Bundesliga goals.
- Cologne have two points in five Bundesliga away games this season. Only Greuther Fürth, useless, behaved less well during their travels.
- The Billy Goats have won only one of their last six meetings with Mainz – a 1-0 away win last season.
Mainz: Zentner – Bell, Hack, Niakhate (c) – Widmer, Lee, Kohr, Boetius, Martin – Burkardt, Onisiwo
Outside: Lucoqui (knee), St. Juste (shoulder)
Coach: Bo Svensson
Cologne: T. Horn – Schmitz, Hübers, Czichos, Hector (c) – Özcan – Duda, Ljubicic, Kainz – Uth, Modeste
Outside: J. Horn (hip)
Doubtful: Skhiri (tibia)
Coach: Steffen Baumgart
Comments are closed.