Schalke vs Augsburg: Probable Teams, Match Stats and LIVE Blog!
Maya Yoshida and Schalke plan to bring Bavarian derby hero Mergim Berisha and Augsburg back to earth when the two sides meet on Sunday (kick-off: 6.30pm CEST).
Click here for the Schalke vs. Augsburg LIVE!
Japanese veteran Yoshida almost guided Schalke to a point in the revierderby against Borussia Dortmund, but the Royal Blues lost 1-0 after conceding late in the Matchday 7 encounter. That meant Frank Kramer’s promoted side remained on six points, so they will be keen to secure their second league victory of the season this weekend. Swiss right-back Cedric Brunner has returned to training this week, but three-goal striker Marius Bülter, midfielder Florent Mollet and left-back Thomas Ouwejan have all missed some sessions through illness. Whether they will recover in time for Sunday remains to be seen.
Augsburg picked up a famous win over Bayern Munich in their last outing, with Berisha leaping for the only goal in the second half. Left-back Iago has had a problem since that game but returned to training this week. It means Enrico Maaßen should be able to name an unchanged squad for the trip to Gelsenkirchen, with the mid-table visitors set to claim their fourth win of the campaign and third in a row. Midfielder Niklas Dorsch is set to return to action, but it looks like England U20 cap Reece Oxford will be sidelined through injury for the foreseeable future.
Look: See how Augsburg beat Bayern
- Former Sampdoria and Southampton defender Yoshida has started all seven of Schalke’s appearances in his first season in the Bundesliga.
- After beating Bochum 3-1, Kramer’s side will be hoping for their second straight home win.
- One of three Bundesliga wins for the Royal Blues in the 2020/21 season came at home to Augsburg in April 2021. In that campaign, they picked up just 16 points – four of them against the visitors of Sunday – before being relegated.
- Berisha scored his first goal of the season against Bayern. It was also the first goal he scored for Augsburg since being loaned out by Turkish side Fenerbahçe on August 31.
- Augsburg had lost all three of their home matches before beating the defending champions on Matchday 7. They won two out of three on their travels.
- Heading into this round of fixtures, the visitors were the league’s worst scorers (five goals). After losing four of their first five games and conceding 10 times in this series, they have won each of their last two games 1-0.
Schalke: Schwolow – Brunner, van den Berg, Yoshida, Mohr – Krauss, Flick – Larsson, Drexler, Bülter – Terodde (c)
Out: Kaminski (calf)
Doubtful: Bülter (sick), Mollet (sick), Ouwejan (sick)
Coach: Frank Kramer
Augsburg: Gikiewicz – Gumny, Bauer, Gouweleeuw (c), Iago – Gruezo, Rexhbecaj – Hahn, Niederlechner, Demirovic – Berisha
Out: Dorsch (metatarsal), Oxford (knee), Sarenren Bazee (cruciate ligament), Strobl (knee), Uduokhai (ankle)
Doubtful: Winter (physical form)
Coach: Enrico Maassen