Schalke vs Bochum: probable teams, match stats and LIVE blog!
Maya Yoshida is set to make her mini Revierderby debut when Schalke host regional rivals Bochum on Saturday (kick-off: 6.30pm CEST).
Click here for the Schalke vs. Bochum LIVE!
Schalke are still awaiting their first victory since promotion as Bundesliga 2 champions. The Royal Blues were beaten 6-1 by Union Berlin on Matchday 4 but leveled the ship with a 1-1 draw in the VfB Stuttgart last time. With draws against Borussia Mönchengladbach and Wolfsburg, and a loss to Cologne on the opening weekend, that gives them three points out of a possible 15 in the embryonic stages of the campaign. Summer signing Yoshida was ever-present at the heart of Frank Kramer’s defence, but the Japan international had a new partner in central defense against Stuttgart in the form of loanee Liverpool Sepp van den Berg. The Schalke manager also gave striker Jordan Larsson – son of legendary Swedish striker Henrik – his full debut. Rodrigo Zalazar fell to the bench, but could be reinstated at the expense of Alex Kral.
The rock-bottom Bochum aren’t just winless – they’re also useless after succumbing to two Niclas Füllkrug goals against promoted Werder Bremen on matchday five. Defeats at Freiburg (1-0), Bayern Munich (7-0) Hoffenheim (3-2) and Mainz (2-1) complete an alarming record, although Thomas Reis recently received a vote of confidence from the board . Left-back continues to be a problematic position for the VfL head coach. With Dominique Heintz, Danilo Soares, Kostas Stafylidis and Saidy Janko all struggling with injuries to varying degrees, right-back Jordi Osei-Tutu is set to moonlight on the opposite flank again. Elsewhere in the squad, on-loan Dynamo Moscow defender Ivan Ordets is pushing for a recall, while striker Philipp Hofmann could be favored over midfielder Philipp Förster in a two-man attack alongside top two-goal scorer Simon Zoller.
Look: Highlights of Schalke’s draw with Stuttgart
- Marius Bülter has scored three of Schalke’s five goals after five games. Two of his strikes were penalties.
- Sebastian Polter was Bochum’s top scorer with 10 goals in 2021/22, while Simon Terodde had his first season with more than 20 goals for VfL (2015/16 Bundesliga 2).
- Schalke have won their last five home meetings against neighbors Bochum in the Ruhr district.
- Zoller scored two of Bochum’s three league goals.
- Only Bayern Munich (125) and Freiburg (77) have fired more shots than Bochum (74), which has the worst conversion rate in the division.
- Bochum are the 14th team in Bundesliga history to lose their first five games of a season. Only two have started with six straight losses.
Schalke: Schwolow – Brunner, van den Berg, Yoshida, Ouwejan – Krauss, Zalazar – Larsson, Drexler, Bülter – Terodde (c)
Out: Kaminski (calf)
Doubtful: Sane (match fitness)
Coach: Frank Kramer
Bohum: Riemann – Gamboa, Masovic, Ordets, Osei-Tutu – Asano, Losilla (c), Stöger, Holtmann – Hofmann, Zoller
Out: Goralski (muscular), Grave (shoulder), Heintz (muscular), Janko (groin)
Doubtful: Soares (hip), Stafylidis (muscular)
Coach: Thomas Reis